Ali

What bugs a bunny?

by in Careers and more

Hi kids, I have a question for you.

What do you think rabbits should eat?

If you said carrots, I’m afraid you’re wrong. But don’t get in a flap about it – you’re probably just used to seeing cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny munching away happily on a crunchy orange stick.

Well, Ali the owl is here to tell you that rabbits like to eat grass or hay. In fact, hay is just dried grass or plants!
Clever RSPCA scientist lady, Rachel, said:

“The RSPCA is trying to give rabbits hay fever! But not in a bad way – we want all pet rabbits to be eating hay as their main food.

People also think their rabbits should eat carrots because that’s what Bugs Bunny does… but he’s a cartoon – real rabbits don’t talk, and they shouldn’t be eating carrots too often either.”

I couldn’t agree more! When I see rabbits in the fields on my nightly flights they’ve all got hay fever, not carrot fever. He he…

You can give your bunny carrots but only very small amounts as they’re very high in sugar. And we know what sugar does to your teeth!

Well, I hope that’s cleared that up. There’s a lot more to think about when feeding pet rabbits so you should have a look at our meal planner for more ideas.

Right, now I am off to stretch my wings while you watch this video of some very happy bunnies.

Ali

Ali

Some call me a wise old owl and I'm not one to disagree. I came to Anmal Action Park after I was hit by a car and broke my wing. I made a full recovery though and now I fly around the park quite happily, sharing my knowledge and wisdom with anyone who'll listen. Look out for me telling you lots of interesting animals facts!

27 Responses to “What bugs a bunny?”

1. Zoe

I have a rabbit and he is soooo cute. If he is a Netherlands Dwarf what type of food can I feed him?

• Sarah K Sarah J

Hi Zoe, if you have a look at the link in the post above about feeding pet rabbits you should find some helpful information. Have a great time with your lovely rabbit!

• Zoe

Thnx, it is cold here soo we keep him in a shed, and cover the hutch with a thick duvet. This is because my mum doesn’t like rabbits in the house. Should I have a heater in there. We are also having work done in our house, so it is almost impossible to go out and play with him. What can I do????

• Sarah E Sarah E

Hi Zoe, well it sounds as if you’re taking care of your bunny by bringing him into a shed and covering the hutch (partly) with a duvet. This – along with plenty of hay for bedding as well as food – will help keep him warm. So I don’t think a heater is necessary. However, you do need to let your rabbit have exercise every day, so it’s important to take him out of his hutch and let him play in a larger area. Click on: http://bit.ly/d4EkqG for more information that could help you. Thanks Zoe. Let me know how you get on 🙂

2. Mai

i <3 that!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooooooooooooooooo cute! i have two VERY happy bunnies at home but im running out of things for them to play with. any ideas? thanx xx

• Sarah E Sarah E

Hi Mai, there are lots of things that bunnies like to play with; have you checked out our rabbit pages? There’s lots of advice on there…www.rspca.org.uk/rabbits

3. lexi

My bunny Rudy loves hay and grass and he does still love carrots on Christmas he loves to get all the left over veg.

4. Lana

My bunny Vienna loves veg and grass but I’m not sure exactly how much veg to give her, at the moment she gets about a handful a day.

5. Amelia

Awww! I love rabbits! They are so cute! They’ve made me wan’t to get one even more!

• I love dogs

To Sarah E: my mum said that she had a rabbit and a Guinea Pig and they went together. (Sorry if you think I’m trying to start an aurguement with you, I’m not)

• Sarah E Sarah E

Hi I love dogs! I don’t know when your mum had her rabbit and guinea pig, but it’s only fairly recently that scientists have discovered that these two species shouldn’t really be kept together because rabbits can spread an infection to guinea pigs which can make them very poorly. Also, they have a different diet, they could injure each other, and they probaby won’t understand each other! For more information on why rabbits and guinea pigs should not be kept together, go to: http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs

Scientists and animal experts are discovering things all the time which make life better for animals.

I hope that helps 😉

6. leonatalie248

Do all rabbits/bunnies eat the same foods?

• Sarah E Sarah E

Hi leonatalie,
      lionhead rabbits just grow to about the size of an average bunny. That’s all!

7. I love dogs

I’m getting a rabbit after my two Dwaf Hamsters. 🙂

8. Sharna

My guinea pigs jump around like that! It’s called ‘pop-corning’ 🙂 They do it when they are happy.

Hi Sharna, I’m not sure but I can find out. Why would you like to know?