Eric

Eric’s seasonal tips: winter

by in Careers and more

Oh my goodness, it’s really getting cold isn’t it?

I hope you’ve all got nice snuggly homes, not to mention scarves and coats for the outdoors. But animals don’t have scarves and coats, so we need to help them.

Frozen ponds

These may look pretty but they can be so dangerous. If you have a pond at home and it freezes over, try to remove the ice to stop it harming what lives underneath. Get an adult to carefully place a saucepan of hot water on the surface to gently melt a hole in the ice – never tip boiling water straight onto the pond or break the ice with force.

If you have a dog you must keep them, and yourself, well away from frozen ponds and lakes. Thin ice may break under a dog’s weight!

Keep pets happy

If you brought any of your outdoor pets, like rabbits, inside for the autumn, make sure to keep them there throughout winter.

And don’t forget to keep taking your dog out for walks, even if you may not feel like it! It’s very important that they keep up their exercise and daily routine.

Horses and ponies

If you have horses or ponies that stay outside, they must have access to shelter at all times. Read more about caring for horses and ponies in winter.

And don’t forget we can still help our garden birds by leaving out food and water. There may still be fireworks  too – especially on New Year’s Eve – and your pet might be scared. Read my autumn tips for advice on those things.

Stay warm everyone!
Eric

Eric

I'm Eric. A few years ago I was run over by a lawnmower. I still have nightmares about it now... But I'm much better and very happy roaming around - I just get a bit spooked sometimes. I'm here to tell you lots of important things about the RSPCA and animals and I might even do a few reviews. I hope you enjoy my posts.

40 Responses to “Eric’s seasonal tips: winter”

1. Drew

Thanks for all the advice, but I have a cat it doesn’t say anything about those poor little balls of cute furif you could let me know of anything to help I am a member of animal action.
    P.s. merry Christmas

• Sarah K Sarah J

Hi Drew, there’s some information up on the blog about cats now! Enjoy.

2. ria thomson

i like how you give lots of great facts and you told me all the dangerous things so i will to keep my dog well done

3. Chloe

My Cats Are very naughty sooty drinks dirty fearfty leavy water in the garden in a foot pool

• Olivia

ugh! does Sooty really drink leafy water? or are you just messing.

4. tanya

thanks for the advice about the pond i thought nothing lived in mine but it was very atractive to dragonflies

• Sarah E Sarah E

Hi Tanya, plenty of creatures will be living in your pond over winter. From dragonfly nymphs and other insects to fish and frogs. The bottom of your pond will be warmer so these creatures will be gathering on the bottom about now. It’s important to remove any dead leaves from the surface of your pond if possible, before the temperatures really drop because dead leaves give off poisonous gases and the level of oxygen falls.

How lucky you are to have dragonflies attracted to your pond Tanya! Did you know that a dragonfly nymph can live in your pond for several years? Amazing huh? 😉

5. Rachel

At least I now know how to keep my dog safe and my horses!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

6. Liza

I love that you give all of us who read animal action or the people who just look at the blog information on how to keep your pet safe during winter or any season for that matter!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

7. lexi

Hi,thanks a lot for the the facts – now i know how to keep my dogs and cats safe they always drink from puddles, naughty.

8. Chloe Austin Hawkins

I have These Little black things in my pond and my dad pours them out

• Olivia

yeah. it teaches me to think twice before I let Jasper have even just a little swim in the water. thanks Eric. 😉

9. kelly webb

thanks now i know how to keep my horses safe and my puppy[:[:

• Sarah K Sarah J

Yes, it is – there’s been some snow about too!

• tessa [10] [: [: [;

I’ve got snow where I live, and I was picked up from school early because of it! My Rabbits and my cats enjoy the snow a lot!

• Sarah K Sarah J

Hi tessa! There seems to be snow all over the country, doesn’t there? We’ve had it at RSPCA today too! All the Park gang are snuggled up nice and warm I expect!

10. Eric Eric

I’m glad you all liked my winter tips. It’s a good idea to know what to do with your pets and wildlife, isn’t it? There’ll be spring tips soon and then summer ones. Ah, I can’t wait for summer…

• alexia

if you dont have a pet and you get one would you folow the same tips ?

• Eric Eric

Hi alexia, yes you would! So, if you remember these tips now they could be really useful to you in the future.

• Sarah E Sarah E

Hi Olivia,
        Eric’s summer tips are just round the corner!

• Olivia

Eric, you know why people find it useful cos it teaches everyone to think twice before letting there pets go for a swim. 😉

11. Jasper (I'm a dog)

I love the snow, its so soft under your paws.

I love making snowmen and throwing snowballs for Jasper.

Eric, do you still have nightmares about the time of you getting run over by the lawnmowers.

• Eric Eric

Yes, I do sometimes Olivia. It was a nasty experience – I’m sure you can imagine! But I’m much better now 🙂

I love building snowmen, epically when Jasper takes the carrot nose off the snowman and eats it. he he he he he he he he.