Ali

Ali’s pet care: guinea pigs

by in Amazing Animals

Guinea pigs are a bit of a mystery.

For a start, they don’t look anything like pigs! And secondly, they don’t come from Guinea, which is in Africa. The scientifically correct name for these animals is actually cavy – or cavies if there’s more than one – and they actually originate from the grasslands of South America.

They are rodents and they come in different colours and with different coat lengths. And if you have ever had one you will know that they can make lots of little noises like squeaks, which are just ways of communicating. They live for around five to six years – longer than hamsters, but not as long as rabbits.

They are very sociable, so it’s really important to keep guinea pigs in pairs or groups. Guinea pigs are pretty calm little creatures, they don’t climb like other small pets, and so are much easier to handle and keep an eye on!

Fun facts
  • Guinea pigs are active up to 20 hours per day and sleep only for short periods.

• Baby guinea pigs (pups) are born fully furred, with their eyes open and their teeth fully developed. Pups begin to eat solid food from the day they are born!

• Like rabbits, guinea pigs produce special droppings called caecotrophs, which they eat to get as much goodness from their food as possible!

Remember, if you’ve got guinea pigs, or are thinking of getting some, make sure you read the attachment below so you know exactly what they need to have the best life possible.

Ali

Ali

Some call me a wise old owl and I'm not one to disagree. I came to Anmal Action Park after I was hit by a car and broke my wing. I made a full recovery though and now I fly around the park quite happily, sharing my knowledge and wisdom with anyone who'll listen. Look out for me telling you lots of interesting animals facts!

Attachments

Total Attachments: 2

47 Responses to “Ali’s pet care: guinea pigs”

I use to have 2 guinea pigs but one died of illness and the other died of oldness.

I’m going to buy another Guinea pig after we buy a hamster. 🙂

3. Alice

i don’t have a Guinea pig-but this is really interesting

• Olivia

You must be very sad because having a guinea pig rules.

• Alice

well it would be mean ‘cos the next door cat visits all the time.)

• Olivia

I use to have 2 guinea pigs called Pepper and Zebra.

4. nikita

my mum still wont let me have a horse and there are stables in my field

• Olivia

Same with me… there’s a big open field by my house and my mum wouldn’t let me have 1. (probably because of the price the horses cost)

5. anonomous girl

I love guinea pigs sorry your guinea pigs died

• I love dogs

Is that me your talking to? p.s. My real name is Olivia you see I changed my name for the RSPCA club and I’m the one who used to have the Guinea pigs called Pepper and Zebra.

6. Hannah Reynolds

The first Guinea pigs I had was Jake and Noddy (I was little so I named them after young programmes) then, sadly Jake died of old age I think. So we got another Guinea pig called Linney to be Noddy’s friend. Linny was pregnant when we got her and she gave birth to a baby but sadly he died at birth. Then we got three more Guinea pigs named Daisy, Dandilion and Poppy. All five Guinea Pigs lived happily together. But then four of them died, (at different times of course) so now we only have Daisy

• I love dogs

To Hannah Reynolds, your luckier then me cos I got to girls guineas (Pepper and Zebra) and when Zebra died of illness 🙁 we had to let Pepper cope without a friend and a few years later she died 🙁 and then we bought two dwarf hamsters. 🙂

• Daisy

I had 2 guinea pigs called Linny and Squeak. Linny was the mother of Squeak (We rescued them.) Sadly Linny passed away around Christmas, and of course Squeak missed her mother so we had to get a new one. We did not do this to replace Linny, Just to make Squeak happy. After New-Year we adopted Darwin. They now live happily together.

• Sinead hassall

I’m sorry to hear that I have 8 guinea pigs and1 rabbit the rabbits called belle and is a girl and 5 of are guinea pigs are girls called Fizzie Lizzie Perdy lucky and wiggy the other 3 guinea pigs are boys called scruffy peanut and roly but we have had other guinea pigs in the past altogether we’ve had 21 guinea pigs 2 hamsters and 3 rabbits 1 was a giant rabbit called hoppy so I know what it feels like when your pets die

• Bob loud day

Your lucky I have no pets I wish I had your pets

• Daisy

Thanks. That is a lot of pets! 😉

7. Freya

Guinea Pigs Rule!!!!!!!Mine are called Jackdaw and Goldcrest. We got them from a rescue center and didnt change their names because they suited them!

• Daisy

I love Guinea Pigs! Rescuing animals is brilliant! great names for Guinea Pigs Freya! 😉

• Freya

Thanks I think rescuing animals is great too! 🙂

8. Molly

I love guinea pigs !! i got one called daisy and she is the cutest thing ever !!! 🙂 😀 :p

9. Molly

I love the attachment it helps allot !! read it !! 😀

10. I love dogs

Is there an Ali’s pet care dwarf hamsters?

11. Sinead hassall

My message was to Hannah Reynolds but if you are reading this it don’t matter!

12. bryony

I have 3 guineapigs 2 girls 1 boy there were 2 boys but one died of an illness

13. Sharna

I have 2 pigs, and they are lovely! One was reascued from the RSPCA with his friend, Jimbo, but sadly, Jimbo ied of a virus, so we got a young (sprayed) girl called Sky! My male, josh, doesn’t like being touched, or handled, Sky loves it though!

Guess what? My baby sitter put her guinea pig up for adoption and my mum said “we could have it” and i named her Isabel.

15. Louise

I love Guinea pigs. I have one called Squeak but Honey (his mate) was killed by a fox. Before that, Honey had to have his eye out. So sad!! 🙁

16. Freya

I have really sad news, one of my guinea pigs, Jackdaw was really ill and had to be put to sleep. I was so sad, one of the worst dys of my life but i guess these things happen. Although I miss him so much I think Goldie(the other one misses him more as he has not been himself recently. We are thinking of getting another guinea pig to be his friend but in the mean time does anyone have any advice for how to help him not feel lonely? Thx 🙂

• cat

if you are still looking for a new guinea pig then be aware cause some guinea pigs that don’t know each other sometimes don’t get along!

• Freya

Yeah i was worried about that too but luckily we have a new one now and they get along fine. Shes a baby girl called Willow and shes sooooooooo adorable!!!!!! Im so happy we have her 🙂 🙂 XD

17. cat

this information will help for my two guinea pigs there so cute and love food!

18. Anonymous

I have two guinea pigs called Snowdon and Melvin. They are so cute.

19. ILOVEanimalz!!

I have 2 guinea pigs called leotie and chamani. They are native american indian names!

• Emma Emma

What great names! My guinea pigs are called Billy and Marcus, they both have pretty funky hair styles 🙂

20. Daisy

I currently have 2 long haired piggies called Sooty and Lightning and I am getting 2 more guinea pigs soon!I am soooo exited! thanks for the facts by the way, they are very interesting!

• ILOVEanimalz!!

Hi daisy, sooty and lightining are awesome names!

21. emily

i love guinea pigs and i hope that one day everyone will respect guinea pigs.
    i am a nerd.
    don’t laugh.

22. Lily

I used to have 2 Guiena pigs but 1 died when he was 4 years old but we got a new 1 to keep the other 1 company!