Helen

He just flue in!

by in News
4.00 avg. rating (81% score) - 2 votes

RSPCA rescues tawny owl from empty house

Neighbours had spotted the owl sitting on the window ledge inside the empty house in Runcorn, Cheshire, and kindly called us.

We think he must have fallen down the chimney flue and then couldn’t find his way back out!

owl-in-chimney
Net rescue

With the help of firefighters from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, the RSPCA managed to get inside the house and rescue the owl using a net.

RSPCA Inspector Lisa Lupson says: “We think the poor bird must have been there for three or four days, as he was very tired and quite underweight!

But he’s now been taken to a wildlife centre for special treatment and we’re hoping this plucky little owl makes a full recovery.”

Cheshire firefighter Mark Pollard, who was there for the rescue, says: “We were only too pleased to be able to help the RSPCA with this rescue. The little fella must have been there for a while and didn’t put up much of a struggle when we finally got hold of him!

Plenty of food

Lisa took the tawny owl to the RSPCA’s Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre. He’s been given fluids and will be offered plenty of food over the next few days to see if he puts on weight.

The plan is to release the owl back into the wild, near to where he was found,” adds Lisa. “Let’s hope he’s learned from his ‘adventure’!

One Response to “He just flue in!”

  1. Eleanor

    It’s great that the fire service and the awesome RSPCA teamed up to help the unlucky owl. I love owls.

    Reply

Leave a Reply