Kitten rescued after getting stuck up chimney
An RSPCA inspector and a crew from Merseyside Fire Service also got completely covered in soot while rescuing Lola, a young tabby.
Lola’s owner had only recently adopted her and was worried when she went missing – then she heard meowing noises from inside the chimney and called the RSPCA for help.
“Lola had climbed almost three metres up inside the chimney!” says RSPCA Animal Welfare Officer (ACO) Matt Brown. “It took us four hours to free her – we had to take the fireplace off in the end!
Lola came out looking bedraggled and a bit dazed, and we were all totally covered in soot… but getting her safely free was worth a dirty uniform, we were all so pleased.”
All in a day’s work
Lola was taken to the RSPCA’s Greater Manchester Animal Hospital, where she was checked over before going back home to her relieved owner.
“It was a different sort of job to what I’m used to – it just goes to show how interesting a day in the life of an RSPCA inspector can be,” chuckles Matt.
The rescue was filmed by Channel 5’s The Kitten Rescuers, and will feature on the show later this year – don’t miss it!